Home Life - Laundry Room
Laundry Room: Here are a few things you can do to make your laundry routine greener and more efficient.
1. Wash only full loads of laundry to save water, time, and money.
- Also make sure you select the correct size option on the washing machine for your load. Washing one piece of clothing takes the same resources per cycle as washing a whole load of clothing.
- Did you know the average wash cycle uses 41 gallons of water?
2. Wash all your laundry in cold water as much as possible.
- Did you know about 90% of the energy used for washing clothes in a conventional washer is for the heating of the water?
3. Hang-dry and line-dry your clothing instead of putting it in the dryer.
- It is also more energy efficient to combine smaller loads to be dried.
- This is better for delicate clothing and can help to make clothing last longer.
Challenge yourself at home:
- Have nothing running when you leave your home for the day:
- Turn off lights
- Unplug as many electronics and appliances as possible
- Set thermostat to correct temperature
- Reduce your daily water usage with shorter showers and efficient dish and clothes washing.